DIY GLAMPER COUNTERTOPS – PART 1amber
Work on the infamous glamper is coming along! If you haven’t heard, we are renovating a vintage 1973 Road Ranger. We weren’t expecting this to be a full gut when we aquired it but once we started testing the water and electrical systems…well…let’s just say the previous tenants hadn’t vacated yet. Click here to read more…
This week we are focusing on the kitchen. We went back and forth about the countertops. I’m wasn’t opposed to leaving the original laminate to save money because the print was neutral. Dirty, but neutral.
But after so much water damage it just made sense to go “out with the old and in the with new”. My first preference would have been a quartz but we didn’t want to add that much unnecessary weight. We only have so much tow capacity with our Jeep Commander. I did some research and couldn’t find any prefab laminate tops that I liked. No surprise there. They’ve come a long way but not quite far enough for my champagne taste on a beer budget. The reality is, we still don’t know if we’ll even like glamping! We’ve only been camping twice in our 21 years of marriage. We would like to make sure we actually enjoy this thing before investing too much.
After more research I came across a product called EZ Faux Decor. It’s a pretty amazing product! It has been featured on several major TV shows. It is easy to install and definitely budget friendly, espeically when purchased through Amazon.
We started by using 3/4″ plywood and cutting a template to the exact specifications of the previous tops. This template allows for the sink and stove to drop in. We then rolled out the marble film and cut to fit.
Next, we set the template aside and removed a two inch strip of the backing, right down the center of the film. This allowed us to start adhearing from the center out. This way we didn’t risk the film shifting on us. It also held one side back while we worked with the other. The film comes in a roll that doesn’t want to stay unrolled so it can be a challenge to work with. It definitely takes two sets of hands.
We slowly rolled back the film, adhearing just a few inches at a time to prevent any shifting or bubbles. We used a plastic scraper tool with a very dull edge to do this. We also used some painters tape to hold the roll back and out of the way as we worked with the scraper. We cut the excess backing off as we went to keep it out of the way.
In part two of this post we will show you how we did the corners and the finished product! For now, I need to sand and spray paint the stove while it’s still a reasonable 83 degrees in Arizona. It will be 105 later today.
People say it’s a “dry heat”.
So is a forest fire.
Content Author and Published by Christy Narsi